Monday, February 6, 2012

A new year a new challenge!

It's been almost a year since I last blogged and a lot has happened. First I had a terrible surgery- a septoplasty. Second, I was diagnosed with Celiac and Third I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My future blogs will focus on having TS and Celiac.
First- I was diagnosed with Celiac by my GI dr. who discovered it from biopsies taken during a endoscopy. The day I got the phone call was the day my husband was in the ER with bronchitis (he would later be admitted and kept at the hospital for 2 days). When I got the news I wanted to cry and felt like another huge blow and been given to me. My thoughts were "great something else I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life". I had first heard of Celiac from one of my friends from high school, Stacey. I thought then it sounded very bizarre and extreme. How could one take wheat out of their diet".
That was then- this is now. I know see it as a blessing.Though it has been a rough road. I am getting better at reading labels on EVERYTHING and taking no food for granted as gluten free. Even the frozen Tyson grilled chicken I was eating had wheat, as did the Progresso Tomato Basil soup I liked. I am also starting to see this as a healthier way for me to live not only for my stomach but for managing my weight as well. I've been needing this. I am eating more organic natural foods, with out all the preservatives.
For dinner tonight- I am having pork chops,Lima beans and yes this isn't organic but it is gf- instant mashed potatoes. I have been trying to eat mostly meat and veggies. So far I have lost 11- 12 pounds since November.I'm also forcing myself to drink diet sodas only.
I have seen a change since I've been trying to go GF. Besides the weight. I have more energy and no stomach issues( ESP. After I eat). I just feel overall better.
I trying to learn as much as I can about being gf and celiac. I ordered a bunch of books ( info and recipe) from the library. I've met some fellow celiacers on Facebook as well as some great Fb pages and blogs I've been following. One fb friend even gave me a pile of gluten free living magazines to read. Besides wonderful helpful websites, I found some gluten free shops/bakeries/ stores I look forward to checking out soon.
My goals are to drink more water and try to get more exercise....Stay tooned it is another new beginning for Sara!

3 comments:

  1. I promise you'll only feel better and better as time goes on. Glad to have you in the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to have you back blogging! Sorry about the Celiac, but you seem to be on the right track for managing your new way of life!

    ReplyDelete