Monday, January 31, 2011

What to say

I'm writing this on my iPhone durin my planning period at work, so please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.
So last week wasn't a good week for me. I only went to Jazzercise once and I actually gained a pound. It's totally my fault and I feel like I'm back on track now. Most of last week I suffered from ocular migraines and didn't feel like doing much at all. I had pizza one night and Sat. Night I fixed a meatloaf. I am not happy with myself, but like I said, I'm back on track since yesterday. I went to Jazzercise yesterday and ate healthy. I still am drinking water daily and have not ha any regular sodas of any kind, so that's good.
Sometimes Ijust feel like I just don't know how to do all this. I think I am eating healthier and getting exercise, but am I doing it correctly.
I am still proud of myself in many ways, but find myself getting impatient. Though I have to admit, the lifestyle changes are becoming more routine. Maybe I ask for too much too quickly.
I need to pray to God for strength, support and diligence.
I don't know why I feel this way. Deron has been very supportive and my wonderful friends have been to. I guess I need to find that inner strength, but how? This does not mean in anyway that I am giving up in this battle. I will not quit.

1 comment:

  1. Sara,

    I hope you don't mind my giving you what I hope will be a little bit of constructive feedback. I am by no means an expert and have struggled with my own weight for several years now.

    Have you considered that you may be trying to make too many changes too quickly? These are really difficult changes you are making and you are trying to do them all at once. This is admirable, but by setting up such high standards for yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure. It will be easier for you if you make small goals each week and try to increase the goals over time. For example, last week you went to Jazzercise once. Maybe this week, commit to going twice. This week, commit to eating a piece of fruit every day. Etc. You have to give yourself permission to mess up or even have a totally off week--it happens. The more achievable goals will help you push forward. They are a lot more manageable than basically expecting yourself to be perfect every day.

    If you would like to learn more about the "how" of all of it, I would highly recommend the LEARN program at OSU, which I have participated in. It's taught by a registered dietitian whom I liked very much. She really emphasized that you need to listen to your body. You may also actually be eating too little. This was a problem I had. I had been eating about 1600 calories a day and was doing well with that--I tried to go down to 1300 and found I was ravenously hungry. If that sort of thing happens to you, you should listen to your body. The dietitian explained to me that your metabolism can really start to slow if you are cutting calories too much and too soon.

    Again--these are really difficult changes that you are making. Give yourself some credit. Another thing that was stressed in the LEARN class is that it is okay and even preferable if weight loss is slow. You are more likely to keep it off. If you can make manageable--not drastic--changes, the overall trend will be downward. That is what you want.

    ReplyDelete